Tuesday 23 August 2011

Thing 13: Google Docs, Wikis and dropbox

Ok, Google docs: this is the one that I use already as a secretary of a sub branch of CILIP. I think it is handy to have a shared repository that committee members of members of a team can access, although I do not find it very handy for editing, unless I am missing something. When I asked my predecessor how I edited or started a document from scratch in it, he said that he tended to create the document in Word but then upload it to Google Docs so that it was accessible to everyone. I must say, it will be handy when I do decide to stand down as my sucessor will have everything there without us having to worry about a handover meeting as such. Also, we do already have a shared folder at work where we can store work that multiple people need to have access to and used it last year when we were updating our webpages.

Dropbox: This looks a good idea, I can see how, I can use this if I am working on a project and need to have other people view documents, this would be useful. I'm sure it would be very good at facilitating working at home, although I am not in this situation myself at the moment.

Wiki's: again something that we do not use where I currently work but I can see how it could be relevant. We have subject guides at the library which we display on our webpage, these are something that could have gone on a Wiki although, we are constantly being told that our webpages, Facebook pages and Twitter page etc needs to adhere to the 'corporate' feel of the university, we could probably use Wiki's for staff documents but not ones that needed to be made public.

1 comment:

  1. Saw your blog on the CPD23 blog roll, and stopped by to say hello! Hope you're having a good week!

    Lesley

    ReplyDelete