Wednesday 28 September 2011

Thing 18: Jing/Screen caputre/Podcasts (making and following them)

I'm beginning to have trouble keeping up with this now as the start of term and a new set of students to induct looms. So I'm probably not going to go through these tools as it looks as if I won't be able to download Jing anyway. I can see how we could use them though, maybe to make a demonstration of how to search the library catalogue/search online resources for our students and it is something I would like to try in the future, maybe when I have more time.

Podcasts: my colleague here has made some Podcasts for the library in the past. These have been very useful, a library tour one for the start of the year and then some 60 second podcasts for various themes (ILL's reserving a book etc). I guess the main thing I would say about Podcasts is be careful with them, don't use technology for technology's sake. A library at a university where I studied a few years ago (I shall not name and shame them) created a podcast which was about the library but it was literally everything about the library in one podcast, very long and it definetly induced sleep. I would say, if you are going to make a podcast, keep it short and sweet and to the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment